Sunday, July 3, 2011

Yellow Flower Identified!


This delicately beautiful flower caught my eye as I walked down our country road.
There were 5 or 6 stalks (about 4 feet tall!), with pale yellow flowers and feathery purple centers ...


I took some pictures to aide in identification and headed home to check my favorite-plant-identification-book-of-all-time "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast" by Jim Pojar and Andy MacKinnon.

Nothing was even close!!!

So I went online. Google has a new feature where you can drag your photo into the search bar and it will attempt to match it.
All I got was a page of yellow and purple cartoon characters, and one oriental picture.


Then I tried a wildflower identification guide - I input the characteristics of the plant and ...

This beautiful flower is a Moth Mullein, "Verbascum blattaria"!
I went back to my Plants book and tried again ... had I missed it the first time? No luck. It wasn't there!!!
So I wrote it in.

3 comments:

  1. It's a lovely flower. I just saw photos of another recently. Very pretty!
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Sometimes it isn't easy to identify those unusual flowers. My guide book is limited. Excellent shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sissy! I remember these from when we were kids! I had forgotten how lovely they are. It's so cool you know their name.

    These photos fill my eyes, Sissy!

    ReplyDelete